Carbohydrate is a type of macronutrient which needs in high amount. It is an essential source of energy. Mainly there are two types of carbohydrates, 1) Simple 2) Complex. Carbohydrates are basically made with sugar and starch which provides energy to cell and body.
High intake of simple carb is risky while the complex crab is beneficial for the immune system, digestive system, nervous system, energy-providing, and brain functioning.
Difference between Good Carbs and Bad Carbs
There are three groups of Carbohydrates
- Monosaccharides – It is a basic form of carbs. It contains glucose and fructose.
- Disaccharides – When two molecules of monosaccharides are bounded then disaccharides are formed. It contains lactose and sucrose.
- Polysaccharides – These are chains of disaccharides. It contains fiber and starch.
Monosaccharides and disaccharides are considered simple carbs or relatively refined carbs (Bad carbs) because they are rapidly digested by our bodies. It may cause insulin resistance, heart disease, and diabetes. Sources of refined or simple carbs are white pasta, white bread, white rice, cookies, cake, ice-cream, corn syrup, etc.
Polysaccharides are complex carbs or whole crabs (Good carbs). The body takes a long time to break it down and then digest. Fiber present in it helps bacteria in proper digestion and provides energy to cells.
Sources of Complex Carbohydrates
- Brown Pasta
- Brown Rice
- Oat Meal
Whole Grains have mainly three parts
- Outer Layer Bran, the most nutritious layer contains high amount of fiber and many minerals like iron, magnesium, and phosphorus but after refining bran and germ are removed.
- Middle Layer Endosperm, containing high amount of carbs and some amount of protein
- The Core Germ, containing vitamin, mineral and protein .
Risk of Obesity
Talking too much refined (simple) carbs is one of the main reasons why a large population is overweight. Eating refined carbs can boost your blood sugar level.
That is because foods high on the glycemic index encourage short-term fullness, which lasts about an hour. Foods low on the glycemic index, on the other hand, foster a prolonged sense of fullness, which lasts around two to three hours.
After eating a meal having too much-refined carbs, blood sugar level drops and we feel hunger. This promotes hunger and you crave more foods.
Refined carbs may cause heart disease and type-2 diabetes because it increases blood triglyceride levels.
How to consume Carbs in Healthy Way?
Many people think it is better to be in a low carb diet to maintain and reduce body weight, but it is not good for a healthy lifestyle. You must take advice from a doctor, nutritionist, and dietitian before cutting carbs.
According to many studies, You can take up to 20% of your daily energy required by simple carbs which have nearly zero nutrition value. However, refind or simple carbs are significant sources of energy in many countries.
Here are some ways for a Healthier diet :
- Replace white bread with whole-grain bread.
- Use oatmeal, Brown pasta instead of white pasta.
- Use whole Grains, Brown rice, and barley instead of white rice.
- Instead of drinking Coke and soda, drink water, and fruit juice.
- Eat fruits and don’t eat lots of cake pastry and cookies.
Reduce the amount of simple or refined carbs and increase the number of complex carbs which are nutrition-rich and give fuel to the body for running long. Make a healthy diet plan that includes all macro and micronutrients with the help of dietitians and nutritionists.